Saturday, February 17, 2007

Zucchini in the Winter


Each year we grow zucchini and each year we try to figure out the best way to use the mountains of fruit we get each day. Friends run from us during zucchini season because we are always offering it. This year we tried something a little different by growing it in winter. And I'm convinced this is definitely the way to grow it! Instead of buckets of fruit each day, at the end of the week, there's a nice selection available to make a nice meal. The fruit don't get as large and are delicious. Much to my amazement, this is has been extremely successful. We've had freezing temperatures and it's still growing. The plant had a bit of a set back during those frosty days but it's still viable and producing delicious fruit. Success!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to find out about 'winter zucchini,' which is listed on a planting guide for southern California. Where are you located? When did you plant your zucchini. I would love to have garden-fresh zukes all year, since they taste so much better than store-bought. Thanks! ~Sara

Heirloom Club said...

I don't recall the name of the zucchini but what I've found is that they grow like weeds, regardless of the variety. A couple of years ago I planted a round variety that was supposedly 'compact'. I'm now convinced there is no such thing as a 'compact' zucchini. That one particular 'compact' variety literally took over about 20 feet of ground and that was with active pruning. And of course, I grew it a small area of the garden, thinking it wouldn't spread ferociously. Nevertheless, it was a crawling monster. Oh, and I should also state, what you do see in the photo is the zucchini is your typical summer variety - it just happens to have continued growing over the winter months. Also, the ground where the veggies grow has a high concentration of organic material and is actively composted which seems to encourage just about anything grown in the beds. Even with neglect, the plants tend to thrive.

Courtney said...

I'm in Brooklyn NY and my zucchini did not grow very much this summer. I got one little one I ate back in July, and then nothing. Actually, it was an epic battle against slugs and then nothing. Then I was taking out my tomatoes at the end of October and lo and behold there was another lil zucchini! It's growing slowly but nicely, but I was trying to find any information about keeping it growing til we get a frost. Could I just use a clear plastic sheet over the plant?