Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Boothby's Blonde Cucumber

The shoot of a cucumber.Image via Wikipedia

I've come to the realization that I have a love-hate relationship with cucumbers. Planting them and watching them grow from seed is extremely rewarding. But boy do I get sick of them quickly. It's the uncontrollable nature of the plants. They produce enough to feed a small army and if really allowed to take off, they'll produce in my garden for nearly a year or more.

This year, I intentionally planted them late. Intentionally because I was hoping for less production. Now, I just read what I wrote and must admit that's a really dumb idea - but it's the truth.

As usual, I planted more varieties than I have room for. One of them is Boothby's Blonde cucumber and I may just get my wish and end up with NO cucumbers in 2009 since the plants are weak and anemic looking.

What would make me think I could even think of growing them in October? It's the California sun which makes me deliriously silly about planting whatever I want throughout the year.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: